Friday, January 16, 2009

"can Jennifa come out to pray...?"

January 14, 2009

Hello everyone! I hope everyone is well at home and is enjoying the cold weather! I hear from a friend that it was -39 the other day?! Wow…I guess it hasn’t warmed up since I left?

Today was warmer day. It’s funny because during the winter season (dry season – January to May/June) it gets cool in the mornings and evenings and gets very hot in the afternoon. Last night the sisters were laughing at me because after supper I put on my sweater. And yes embarrassingly enough I along with Sr. Josaphine were the only ones wearing sweaters. They laughed and said “Ah…look at her…the poor Canadian has to put on a sweater!” Yes, I can imagine I’m never going to live it down.

I ended my last post at yesterday afternoon so I will continue from there. I’m not sure if I will be able to keep up with writing something for ever day but I will at least try to keep up with week to week.

When we had gotten home from the school there were a few girls watering the plants in the yard (the girls from the hostel). From what I’ve gathered so far, each of the girls has a chore to do for the day. Each of the girls go to school either in the morning from 8 -1 or 1-5. When we began talking with the two girls (Princess and FatouBintou) Sr. Cecile mentioned to them that she would like me to lead the girls in prayer. The girls got really excited and said, “we like Jennifa (to me everything with and –er sounds like “a” ) and we would like ha to pray wit ous”. I thought that it would take some time for them to ask me or for sister to have me go and pray with them but just after supper the girls came knocking on the door saying “Can Jennifa come and pray wit ous?” I was glad to go. For the first time I just sat back and watched. I’m amazed at the faith of these young women. They pray with such meaning. They pray for the sisters and are grateful for the sisters hospitality. They pray for themselves, thanking God for the gift of LIFE. That’s the thing that most amazed me…they All pray for the gift of LIFE. It’s amazing to me. One thing about Africans is that they Love to sing, so they sing everything! (even if they don’t have a good voice…haha…I find it kind of funny) After anyone prays they sing a verse from a song and after prayer was all done they started singing “Stand up and tell somebody that you love them!” and they all stand up and hug one another and sing! It’s such a sight to see! These girls all come from different places in the Gambia and they all get along. I’m just amazed at these young girls and what I’m grateful for is being able to spend time with them. They enjoy my company and I really enjoy theirs. I can relate with their young and longing hearts and I think I will get to know them well for the time I am here. After prayers they all wanted to see pictures from home since Sr. Cecile had told them I was a triplet. So ran to get my pictures in the house and when I came back they were all sitting in a circle waiting for me. They passed the pictures around and then when the pictures were al shown they took out theirs and began to show me. You can tell how proud they are of their families. Once all the pictures were shown they all surrounded me and began to ask me a million questions. They don’t know much about Canada and they wanted to know what it was like. One girl actually had a Toronto Blue Jays shirt on and she didn’t even know what it was. So I pointed out to her that it was a Canadian baseball team. They all loved that. It was so funny…they were all talking at once and I already have a hard time understanding their English that I was just looking at them and they’re all trying to translate for each other. Eventually we all were on the same page. For some reason, black women like to have fair skin so there is some sort of pill you can take to make your skin a lighter color and the women around here like that. Obviously not very many women can afford it but while the girls were all standing around me one started and said, “ I like your nose” and another, “I like your skin”, “I like your eyes, and your hair!” it was never ending. I only say this story because I find it funny how the grass is always greener on the other side. I think the black people here are absolutely beautiful and black people think that the white people are beautiful. Wouldn’t it be amazing if we actually appreciated who we were ourselves and not wished we were someone else? I think the African people deal with this better since most of them don’t have much. They are ok with not wearing make up or the best clothes. They are just happy people. After all the talking was done, I tried to learn all of their names but even if they are a common name like Therese, the way they say it always makes me wonder what they are saying. So the girls all had to say their names 5 times each. Haha…I’m sure they think I’m stupid. I left the room that night with so many smiles and waves that it was hard not to laugh and be grateful for each and everyone of them. I’m going to enjoy spending more times with them over these next months.

Back in the house, I heated some water on the stove for my shower and then I took a warm shower. It’s very refreshing and actually having to work for it makes it rewarding. I appreciate it. After my shower I was able to get on the internet to check my email and see some of the posts. Thank you to everyone who sent me emails. Seriously, I’ve always appreciated mail but it’s more than overwhelming when you’re out of the country and cant talk to someone whenever you want. I think out of anything, that is the thing that is going to make the 7 months long. But THANK YOU to everyone for your emails. I love getting them! So keep them coming!

I’m slowly getting used to the time difference but I hate to be a bother when everyone else is getting up at 6:00am. Most of you know me…I’m more of a night owl than an early bird so I’m thinking that getting up early over the next months is going to be my purgatory. Oh Lord…If I have to suffer, please make it somewhat bearable. J I guess with the way the sun is (it rises at 6:30 am and sets at 7:00pm every day – no change) it’s a little bit easier going to bed in the evening. I guess my college days really produced a bad habit out of my schedule. I used to START studying at around 9:00 pm, so here because all the sisters go to bed early I think it’s such a waste of the rest of the night. But I guess once I get into a good routine it wont be so bad.

I was able to sleep in today again and once I was up I had breakfast (seems to be pretty similar as all mornings) we got ready and Kabia took Sr. Sue and I to deliver some eggs and run some errands. Kabia is a contractor and he actually put up the school that I am working in. He does a lot of different jobs but I think he mainly works for the sisters since there is always work to do and Sr. Cecile always has new plans and things to build. I had only met Kabia once before and it was only an introduction. But today Sr. Sue and I spent the majority of the day with him. I really appreciated it. The only thing…..only thing….He speaks Pigeon English too. Oh no. Well to say the least by the end of the day, I not only knew that his first name was NOT Kabia, but Abraham Kabia but I also knew how to pick up Pigeon English. WOW…can they talk fast! It’s like their talking another language. I spent most of the day sitting in the front seat watching Kabia weave in and out of small streets and listen to him and Sr. Sue talk pigeon English. We spent the day in Serrekunda, where I got to see Sr. Madeline and Sr. Marie live, one of the nursery schools, and also meet Sr. Bibian and Sr. Ruth. I’m sorry for all of the names, but I say it more for myself. Its good to write them down so that I can remember them. So I apologize. After Serrekunda we went up to the capital, Banjul to check out the market and see the Arch. Apparently when the president took over by a coup they built this arch to signify the change. It’s very historical…I guess. I definitely enjoyed my day today. Every day I get to know Sr. Sue a little bit better and I really enjoy her company. I’m not sure if I mentioned, but the first day I spent with Sr. Sue I was convinced that she could not be very old because she looks so young. So….I asked her. J She made me guess of course and I guessed that she was in her 30s. She laughed and said, no. Turns out she is 52. I couldn’t believe it. I’m not saying 52 is old, but the women here look SO young for their age. I had to ask her her secret to looking so young since they live in such a dry climate. Of course her answer was that the Lord granted her good skin. I left it at that. I am often caught off guard by her loud talk. When I hear the women around here talk to one another I always think they are yelling at one another. Today I saw one women “yelling” at the other and so I asked Sr. Cecile if she was yelling since she was talking in Wollof, and sister laughed and said, ;’oh no, they just like to emphasize what they are saying.” I had to laugh. Sr. Sue definetly talks like that and sometimes I think she is yelling at me or Sr. Cecile and it catches me off guard.

On our way home, we went back through all of the small villages and I enjoy doing this because it gives me time to look around and get used to seeing all the people around. I asked Kabia where all the people were going and what they were doing since there is SO many people in the streets all the time. Just think of this…..driving down the highway and seeing goats and sheep and people crossing the roads….ALL THE TIME. It’s like it never stops. There are people on the sides of the roads and cars weaving in and out of the paths of other cars. I’m glad they don’t want me to drive because I might develop a bad habit of road rage. Kabia said that people are in the streets because most of the people sell their good in the streets. They just sit there and hope that they will go home with 100 dallasis. That’s not even 5 Canadian dollars. It would barely buy a bag of nuts. There are boys in the streets whose prized possession is their wheel barrow because they offer to carry peoples loads of oranges, or wood, etc in exchange for some money. They are the ones that make the most money in the streets because everyone needs help carrying their goods, so they get paid pretty good if they are fast enough. So, next time you look at your wheel barrow and think “oh this is too much work”, think of the little boys in the streets whose only way to make some extra money for their family is that wheel barrow.

I knew that Kabia has a family so on the way home I asked him how many children he has. He has 3 kids. The oldest is a girl, 7, next is a boy, 5 and the youngest is a girl, 3. I think he does very well with is trade as a contractor and I’m sure his family is pretty well off. When we left the car he said to me, “Well Jennifa, we will have many conversations since you are here for a while.” I appreciated his comment because I didn’t know if he was annoyed by all my questions and his comment allowed me to know that he appreciated being asked. I enjoyed my day with him.

When we got home, the maids had cleaned 20 chickens – for selling- and Sr. odile was making sugar coated ground nuts (otherwise known as sugar coated peanuts) in the back of the house. The young girls were in the back watering the flowers, and making supper for themselves, and washing up. I went to visit with Sr. Cecile on the veranda and she explained to me the Lectio reading for that day. Every Wednesday the sisters have adoration with an hour of Lectio Divina (a reflection on the gospel) beforehand. It was nice to be able to finally have some time to sit in the chapel and pray. We ended with evening prayers. Supper was on our own and then the sisters have the rest of the night in silence. I went out and spent some time with the girls in the hostel and then I went to shower. I’m now about to go to bed.

How is everything at home? It’s hard for me to imagine that it’s so cold at home since it’s so nice here. I hope it’s not too cold! I’m thinking of all of you and I know it’s only been a couple days but I’m excited to see your faces when I return. I never thought I’d miss the familiarities of home, like I do. I have to keep reminding myself that this is my home for the next 7 months. Things are good, and because I’m spending so much time busy with the daily duties I’m asking the Lord to speak to me through my experiences of meeting people and seeing places. One thing I’m grateful for is my home. I am continually reminded that I’m only here for so long and then I get to come home, but these people are here for good. I thought today, “oh I’m going to love taking a hot shower where all I have to do is turn on the taps and not heat the water on the stove” And then I thought, wow….the sisters will do this for the rest of their lives. I need to remind myself that that might be my way to heaven….as it is in some way for the sisters.

Continue to pray for me! It’s been a challenge here! You’re in my prayers!

In Jesus and Mary,

Jen

1 comment:

Wendy Leising said...

Jen,

I am thinking of you and praying for you. When you speak of mission work, it makes me so envious... I wish I could be there too. I always wanted to go to Africa to serve God, but He didn't call me there. He did call me to Kentucky, though, and at first I didn't want to go. My mind was set on Africa, but God showed me why he needed me to go to KY and I'm so glad that I went. And now... I have a wonderful husband. Isn't it amazing how God works when we let Him?! Since I can't be there with you, I'll send my prayers instead. I love you so much, Jen, and I miss you dearly.

Wendy