Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The gambian way of Life...sort of

January 13, 2009,

Today is another beautiful day in the Gambia. I’m sure I’m going to need a new headline soon since it’s always beautiful here! I’m sure I wont see a rainy day until June when the rainy season comes.
Today I slept in again, this time until almost 10 am. I’m almost embarrassed! I had a very hard time falling asleep last night and I woke up a lot during the night. When I woke up Sr. Suzanne said…”oh…someone’s up.” I’m sure they all were up at 5 am. But it’s going to take me a while to get used to the time difference and I’m grateful that the sisters understand that.
I woke up and ate breakfast…the same as yesterday. And we got ready and went to the bank. The money here is very different. They measure it in Dallasis. For one Canadian dollar you get around 20 dallasis. After we finished at the bank we went to a grocery store to look at some of the things you could buy. You can buy almost anything that you need. I was actually surprised. A carton of juice (1L) was around 40 dallasis. And the sisters said that it wasn’t that expensive. I even saw the Dove soap that I use…Although it’s supposedly expensive. They have chips, pop, powdered milk, toothpaste, water, etc for sale. Really anything that you need is there.
We stopped by the house before we went to visit the schools. Sister Cecile and I drove out to the schools – which is south of Brikama. It’s still in the town but it’s kind of in a field outside of the town. When we arrived the students were all in their classes. It’s so funny because when the students see Sr. Cecile- they just love her! They all wave and turn to look saying “Sister! Sister Cecilia!” I was her side kick since she was showing everything to me. So when they teachers noticed that we were in the doorways every class would get out of their chairs and say “Good Afternoon Sister, Good Afternoon Friend.” Hahah…it was so cute! It guess it’s their greeting for anyone who comes to visit. The children all have they’re own uniform that is mauve (this is the school that I will be in, but the nursery students all wear blue and white uniforms, and the secondary school students wear green shorts and a pink and white shirt.) I was able to meet the teachers as well that I will be working with. I forget some of their names but there are 3 men (Paul is one of the names I remember and 1 women (Anna). Sr. Odile runs this school. They all seem very nice and very welcoming. That’s the one thing I love about Africans….they welcome you like you are their own family. Everyone shakes your hand, asks your name, introduced themselves and then says “Welcome…we are glad to have you here in the Gambia.” Very different from the hospitality from Canada that’s for sure.
The school yard is HUGE! They have a lot of land that will in the future be put to great use and will have a lot of shade for the kids to play in. Right now because the trees are very small it’s very hot in the playground. Sister has an orchard at the far end of the school yard and banana trees that line the walls. She hopes to have a drive way for the bus that is lined with Orange trees. The trees are already planted, they are just very small.
I’m so amazed to see what Sr. Cecile and the other sisters had done here. It’s like living a dream and then it happens. They dream of making a school and its done. The Lord has provided so much for them and it’s amazing to see. I’m continually reminded of the Lord generosity. It’s wonderful to see the great work they have done and how everyone appreciates them.
People waved them down on the street and they sometimes give young kids rides to where they need. They just wave them down and hop into the back of the truck and then tap the window when they want to get out.
The sisters had a couple come in to visit from England. They lost their daughter about 10 years ago and since then have put a fund together to give to the sisters for the Gambia. So I guess the couple decided to come and visit so we went to the airport today to pick them up. They are an older couple and they (like I did) dressed in warm clothes and were very hot when they arrived! They are staying in Fajara- at Shalom – the retreat house where Pope John Paul II stayed while in the Gambia. It’s beautiful there! I forgot to mention that we went there yesterday to see it. The ocean is gorgeous and I can’t wait to go to stay there. They have 4 postulants staying there and it is run by sister Mary and Sister Sarian. I have yet to meet Sister Mary but she called me the night I arrived to say hello but Sister Sarian I have met a few times already and I really enjoy her laughter. She is like Sr. Suzanne – a Native and both of them remind me of the way Fr. Ephraim used to laugh. Very hearty and contagious…even if they are laughing at me! J I have obviously spent a lot of time with Sr. Cecile and Sr. Suzanne so I am getting to know them a lot better than the rest. I really enjoy both of their company.
As for right now, I’m just taking a rest this afternoon and I will hopefully be able to write soon! I hope all is well around home! I miss everyone!!

In Jesus and Mary,

Jen

1 comment:

Fr. Morgan said...

Praise God you made it there safely! I have enjoyed your first posts...you have a great way of "painting the picture," that is, making the reader feel as if they are there...and I like that, having the opportunity to feel that I am there with you taking this all in. I said Mass for you on Saturday a.m., about the time you left Toronto. The good sisters are obviously taking care of you to help ease your transition. As I read your first posts, I am reminded of my arrival in Italy some 12 years ago. Though not the same by economic standards, there are parallels to the slower pace of life and enjoyment of mere existence. We have lost and sacrificed much in the name of modernity and efficiency in the First World. We are moving so fast that we no longer have time for the type of decorum you experienced in the school, nor appreciation for the depth of human interaction that is demanded of one when distractions are at a minimum and survival is the issue at hand. Gosh, am I sounding envious? Your time there has much in store for you, Jen. It's snowing, blowing and the temps are below zero (good ole Farenheit!). Please tell the sisters "hello" from Fr. Morgan in Sioux Falls, SD, USA. We will pray for them, and I ask them to pray for my priesthood and for Holy Spirit Parish. May Jesus, Mary and Joseph help you on your journey, as much as the Holy Spirit helped them on their flight to Egypt. frjpm