Sunday, January 25, 2009

Another attempt at washing my clothes....you'd think the laughing would stop......nope!

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Today I got to sleep in since we didn’t have mass. Father Gabisi was gone to the villages to say mass so we didn’t have to get up for mass. I really enjoy being able to go to mass here, since that was the ONLY thing when I first got here that was the same as it was at home. I mean the liturgy was. Obviously they still say things in Wallof or Mandinka sometimes but for the most part, I was able to rest in the fact that the mass was something that is universal and does not change wherever you are. But this morning I slept in until 9:30….of course I had to set my alarm, since I could sleep all day. J But I got up ate breakfast and tidied up my room. It seems as if you have to sweep and dust every other day because of the dust storms. It’s not very fun, but in the rainy season you never have to dust.

One of the first days, Sr. Bernadette gave me a wrap around to wear as a gift. The colors are so bright and today was the first day that I wore it. The girls were all making comments on how I was able to tie the wrap, but they don’t realize that we have them at home. The only difference is that we don’t wear them every day, we only wear them at the beach or when we’re somewhere warm. I had to laugh.

And again today, I attempted at making another effort at washing my clothes. I can’t say I am any better, but slowly I’m getting the hang of it. The girls still laugh at me but at least instead of just Edwina helping me, two or three other girls got in the bucket and actually told me how to do it. Therese, actually explained it to me, since Edwina insists that I just leave it there for her to do. I think they’re surprised that I want to learn how to do it, so today realizing that, they decided to assist me instead of just sit back and laugh. Which was a nice change. Their technique is so interesting and when they wash it the water sometimes squirts through their hands and goes flying. And I seemed to always be in the way of Edwina’s water. By the end of it my shirt was wet and she even squirted me in the head a few times. I would just look at her and she would just laugh. I think she was doing it on purpose. Today I realized how much I can understand their conversations with one another. I remember the first few days, I would just sit there and say, I don’t understand you. But now I’m starting to catch the accent a little bit more. I’m sure by the end of 6 months I’ll have a slight accent of my own.

I sure hope everyone at home is doing well! I miss everyone so much and I can’t wait to see everyone again. Please continue your prayers,

In Jesus and Mary,

Jen

No comments: