Sunday, February 15, 2009

Who knew well conditioned hair would be such an attraction?!

February 7, 2009

I had SO much fun today! One thing I realized is how much I really haven’t cared about “time” since I’ve been here, I’m just trying to take things as they come. Which is really nice and a really good change. People here think more of making relationships with others rather than making it on time somewhere – very different from home that’s for sure.
I slept in today until around 8:30. Well not around…it really was 8:30, and I was planning on getting up at 8:00 but my alarm went off and I hit snooze and didn’t wake up until Sr. Cecile woke me up a half hour later. I hurried and got ready for mass, which was at 9:00am. The parish in Brikama was hosting a religious conference today and there was religious from all over The Gambia. So they were having mass, which was open to the public and then a conference for the sisters and religious afterwards. And, I finally met the Bishop today. Ive actually gone to meet with him twice since I’ve been here but he’s been out of his office both times. So today was the day. After mass I went to greet him and he knew who I was right away. I think he recognized me because he saw my passport since it went through his office when he had to sign for my Catholic mission forms. He also said that he recognized my Canadian accent. Haha….I thought that was really funny, since….they’re the ones with the funny accent.  Well, I shouldn’t say that since he is actually Irish and has an Irish Accent. But the people around here sure have an accent. Anyway, he welcomed me to the Gambia and then he said to me, “thank you for coming to help and give of your talents.” He was so sincere and I honestly was so shocked but so appreciative of his comment. In some way you never think of yourself as giving – since for myself, I feel like I’m the one receiving everything that these people have to offer. After meeting with the Bishop I went to say hi to some of the other sisters from the order and then I went on my way home.
I can honestly say, I have always loved the mass but being here has allowed me to appreciate it so much more. It has become my favorite part of the day and let me tell you, getting up at 6:00am isn’t exactly my idea of a good morning but the Lord has showered down graces to allow me to see the importance of the mass in my own life. Usually, on a weekday there are only a few people other than the sisters and I and it’s actually quite dark in the church since the sun has not yet come up. I wish I could explain the feeling of peace and joy that I have in my heart towards the mass, but it’s honestly unexplainable. I’ve definitely been able to relate to the gospel since at the moment, Mark is giving us his account of Jesus’ ministry. Last week He cast out demons from a man, this week He heals Simon’s mother in law, prays and then goes out to the neighboring countries to preach the gospel. In some way, I feel like the Lord has given me a renewed strength to get through this experience, since I feel so absolutely inadequate for the job. But, I’m realizing more and more how God’s grace – when we ask for it and allow ourselves to receive it – are used in many unpredictable ways. “We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.” – 1 Corinth. I realize more and more that I am no one and that only through Christ He is able to raise me up and use me as His vessel. Having the opportunity to go to mass has given me the strength to go through the day.
I walked home from the church and I really have to admit that I love walking around here. As much as I do not like getting stopped on the side of the road by people asking for money, money and more money, I really enjoy having the time to just walk and not have an agenda. I get to take in the culture. Whenever I get to walk from the church I always stop at 2 little supermarkets, just to see what they have. I enjoy looking at all the different food. At “Gateway”, the first supermarket I always meet up with Alhagie. I’m not sure if he actually owns the place or not but he’s always there and he and I have become good friends. I enjoy going because he always asks how the sisters are and just asks how things are going. He is a Muslim and the first time I met him he was in the back of the store kneeling on his mat praying. Since I have found a lot of the people – especially the men around here - very forward and awkward I appreciate talking to Alhagie since he’s really laid back. One of the other ladies that works there always invites me to just come and spend some time with them. I’ve promised them that I will make some time, so I’ll have to do that in the next little while. The next stop on my way is ….I can’t even think of the name! Anyway, it’s another little supermarket and for some reason, they always end up giving me a discount. I’m not sure if it’s because I always need change and they just don’t want to make the change or what, but I always end up coming out of there spending a few dallasis less. Since the sisters were gone, I got home and realized that I was the only one home –other than the maids. I made myself some breakfast which consisted of coffee and bread with – mom get this – Nutella. I’ve come to really love it. My mom used to buy it for us when we were kids but I can’t say that I really ever liked it that much but I’ve developed a love for it now. After I cleaned up breakfast, I cleaned my room and checked my email and then I realized that I didn’t have much time to wash my clothes before we went out to the Inter-house competition (which is a competition within a school for students to compete in sports). I gathered my clothes and realized how much there was since I didn’t have time to wash last weekend with the retreat. One thing I will not understand is how unbelievably giving the girls in the hostile are. Automatically when I come out with my clothes to wash, there are two or three girls wanting to help. Today, Therese, Nancy, Betty and Edwina helped me. I was so appreciative because I wouldn’t have gotten it all done in time to leave. Oh…I didn’t mention yet. Today is Edwina’s birthday! She turned 19 and I really can’t believe that she’s that young. She’s very mature for her age that’s for sure. One of the first days I was here and spent time over in the hostile with the girls, everyone was telling me their birthdays and Edwina, when it was her turn says to me, “My birthday is February 7. Are you going to buy me a present for my birthday?” To which I replied, “A gift is a “gift” not an obligation.”  She laughed at that one, but I knew that I would get her something anyway. So today, I was able to give her a card and I gave her a pair of earrings from back home. I’m not sure if she liked them, but I hope so.
After washing my clothes, I sat down to prepare a little bit for going out to Kembojeh – where I meet with the youth for a scripture study. I only had a bit of time because Sr. Cecile came home just before 3pm so we could go to Presentation school for the Inter-house competition. I guess the school was split into four different houses (or teams) each representing a color from the Gambian Flag. There was a Blue, Green, White and A red Team. We were there cheering for two teams: the green team because Marian, Susan, and Antoinette were all on that team and the red team because it was named after Sr. Cecile! They love her here. What we found hilarious – because you can’t do anything else about it but laugh- was that Sr. and I got there at 3pm since it was supposed to start then. We actually thought that we were going to be late and we showed up and there were only a few people there. They call this “Gambian time”. The actual competition didn’t start until after 5pm. AFTER 5 PM! Seriously….someone would’ve been shot if that happened in Canada. Haha… We sat there for over 2 hours and then the competition finally started. We went to sit with the Red team, and they had a table and chairs for us to sit on. It was really cool – they loved having Sr. there to cheer them on. As we were sitting there, I was again overwhelmed that I am finally here. Here we were sitting in the hot African sun on this sand field with palm, orange, and mango trees in the distance watching these young kids compete in track events. Seriously, I felt like it was a movie playing in my head. The field, like I said, was sand. They had marked out track lanes with charcoal – that was straight from the fire, let me add- and the young kids ran in socks or bare feet. I couldn’t believe it. We didn’t get to stay for long, since we had been there since 3 and I had to go to Kembojeh for the meeting. So Sr. and I left and came back to the house to pick up Sr. Sue.
When we got to Kembojeh, we went straight to Albert’s house and asked if anyone was ready but because of the time – since it was so late Albert thought it would probably be best not to have it this week. When we get there, the only way that people know that there is something going on is that they ring the church bell…..a piece of scrap metal that is hit with another piece of scrap metal.  Far from our church bell at home.
After leaving Kembojeh, we went on to Kolora to see the church and Sr. had a meeting with a woman from there. When we got to the house she was at there were a bunch of kids who started jumping in the back of the truck to have a ride. So we took them all to the church and while Sr. met with the lady, I stayed outside with the kids and talked and laughed and danced. Of course, at first when the kids meet me…my name is always, “hey toobob! Toobob! Toobob!” and I’ve become quite familiar with this name, it’s almost like my second name. But then the kids eventually learn my name and stop with toobob. I found it really hilarious today because the kids did something that I haven’t experienced yet. They all wanted to touch my hair. Because all the people here have such coarse hair here – afro style – my hair is so soft and different to them. If you can get a picture of this in your own head, I think it will be a bit more hilarious to you. All the kids were in the back of the truck (in the box) and I was standing on the ground looking up at them and all of a sudden I had a few of them reach out to touch my hair and then all of them joined in. I think I had about 20 hands touching my head at the same time. At the end of it, my hair was all over the place. I honestly wish I would’ve had a picture of it.
Sr’s meeting went longer than I think she planned, but it gave me the opportunity to see another thing I had not yet seen – the young kids dance in the moonlight. When it was getting dark I started to wonder if the parents of these kids wonder where they are. But I guess since it’s a small community, and everyone looks after everyone they never worry about the kids. I asked the kids if they wanted to sing me anything and I knew exactly what they were going to say. Kids here LOVE LOVE LOVE to dance and sing, so I knew I’d get a good response. They all started singing and dancing and I wished I had my camera. Next time…I’m bringing it with me. I HAVE to get that on video. All these little kids – like even 3 year olds were dancing with rhythm that I’ve never seen a child that young dance with. It was so cool! They all ask me to sing and dance and for the most part, I do a bit but I always end up stopping because I’m in such awe watching all of them. None of them are shy. When we left, Sr. said to me, “I think you’ve made quite a few new friends.” All of the kids jumped in the back of the truck – still singing and yelling- and when we dropped them off, they would run beside the truck with their hands out wanting me to stick my hand out of the window so they could touch it or shake it. They obviously love visitors. And…I enjoy being their visitor.  That is an experience I will never forget.
We came home and I went straight to the hostile to see how the girls had done at the competition. Only Therese and Cathrine were in their room and I guess Susan had gotten third. After I ate a bit of supper, I went back out to visit with the girls, since it was Edwina’s birthday and they were all still up celebrating. One person that I never thought would open up to me was Harriet and for some reason, over the past few days, she’s been very talkative with me. I really really like her. She’s so honest and has this beautiful, beautiful smile. We stood outside of the hostile and talked under the trees and that was when I found out that there are a few girls who intend to become sisters. Harriet and most of the girls want to eventually get married but Lucina, Zenita, Fatima, and Therese are the four who have come to live here because they are learning English at the school so they can eventually join the order. I didn’t know that before! I was actually quite shocked to here it. Not that they don’t seem that they would be a good fit – that’s not the case at all- I guess I just didn’t even think of it before since there are not many young women at home in Canada who are have that intention. It was so wonderful to hear. More so because you know that they feel that it’s the Lord calling them, and knowing that they have that desire to serve the Lord in whatever way He has called them excites me for their futures.
Days like this really make me grateful for what I’m experiencing here. I’ve been on this journey for almost a month now and yes there have been times I’ve wanted to come home but I know that at the end of this – I will come home a completely changed person, with a new outlook on life. I already know I will never forget some of the faces I have met, and even now, I know I’m going to miss them. The girls in the hostile have become some of my best friends here and funny enough – I wish I could all take them home with me to Canada. I know they would appreciate it but that’s not even the reason – it’s because they’ve made such a huge impact on my life already. Life will definitely never be the same….it’s already better.


In Jesus and Mary,

Jen

No comments: